Olivia was baptized on Sunday, June 6th. But the preparation and planning pretty much started within days after we arrived home. Since our Church baptizes only once a month, we had to decide quickly if June would still be an option which meant:
1) Would there be room for us in the June group?
2)Would it work for the Godparents?
3) Would my family - or the majority of them be able to make it?
4) Would I be able to get a dress for Olivia in time?
The one I was most concerned about if #1 worked out, was #4 - would I be able to get a dress in time. For each of my kids, the Baptismal gown was one of those things I splurged a bit on. I wanted a very special gown for a very special day - not to mention a very special baby. For each of my kids, I had gotten my kids a gown at Wiggles and Giggles, a cutesy baby boutique. I remember clearly 7 years ago... the first time shopping for a gown there for Jacob... I spied the shantung silk romper and knew it would be perfect for Jacob! I called Todd who was at work to run the price by him as I was certain a little prep work would be better than springing it on him after the fact. I called his cell phone and when he answered, I asked if he could talk. He said what was the matter. I said nothing, that I saw the perfect baptismal outfit for Jacob and would he agree the price was worth having the most perfect outfit for our soon to be baby boy?!?! He asked if we could discuss it later, to which I replied, I was at the store and would prefer to make the decision right then. He said to go ahead. It turns out he was actually in a meeting and when he saw I was calling his cell phone, he thought it might be other "urgent" matters. So, he took the call. And, apparently the rest of the group was anxiously waiting to see if Todd had big news to deliver. Not quite the Big News they were thinking...
Anyway, Lucy's dress had tiny pale yellow rosebuds sewn into it and Matty's was boyish yet stylish!
So, I was on a mission to find one just as suitable and fitting for Olivia. The main problem, shoppes do not carry Baptismal gowns larger than 6/9 months...!!! And, Wiggles and Giggles was now closed!!
Luckily, with the help of the Internet, Amazon.com, to be exact, I was able to find a beautiful 12-18 month gown, at a very reasonable price too! One thing I had to keep in mind, was that with Olivia being older, getting one of those massively long gowns was probably not practical. I selected a silk and tulle gown with a matching jacket a bonnet. She looked absolutely lovely.
The ceremony at St. John's was so nice. Olivia did great - only cried a little while the water was being poured over her head. We had a really nice time afterwards at my moms for a late lunch and cake! That was our last Baptism we had to prepare for with our kids. It was kind of a nice feeling to be finally able to close some chapters. Especially nice, knowing there are so many more to look forward to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment